April 21, 2008

Pee on bees revisited!

I believe I've finally found the answer to those animated bees plastered on men's water less urinals. Apparently, they call the use of the animated bees "choice architecture." While listening to NPR, Richard Thaler, economist and coauthor of "Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth and Happiness," had this to say.

"The urinal example is a nice illustration of what we call a nudge. So, the picture of the housefly that has been etched into the urinals, the men notice it. Most of the men actually think it’s real. So they aim. So they pay attention to a task they normally don’t, and as result they do it more successfully.”


So I was partially right. The bees indeed give the urinator an object to aim, improving accuracy. But I still think it is just fun to pee on bees!

And thanks to MDG. Apparently, the word bee in Latin is "apis."

1 comment:

waldocarmona said...

yea that explains it, but I have to say I never mistook those bees for the real thing, though I did wonder why they showed up at mtsac's new pissers