June 28, 2007

Pee on Bees!

My college recently installed new waterless toilets. You don't have to flush them. Just do your draining and walk away.

I will say, they are beautiful pieces of porcelain. Gone are the sharp curves and creases normally associated with urinals. These urinals are so inviting, you almost want to sit on them. Most intriguing, however, is the imprint of a small, cute, cartoon honey bee imprinted on the inside. The bee looks so odd, so out of place. I was even tempted to brush it off. Why is this bathroom fixture used in the removal of filth imprinted with a honey bee? I think I may have the answer.


It takes the urinating experience to a whole new level. I found myself seeing just how long I can pee on the bee, even tracing its outline.


Still, I can't help but wonder, why a honey bee? How about something more cute
and less threatening than bees. Maybe some would rather pee on puppies or kittens.

But why stop at bees, puppies and kittens? The could expand to other species such as armadillos, sloths, and anteaters. This could be the next collectible craze. Remember beanie babies? Yes, some collect stamps or Pez dispensers, but I could collect urinals.

4 comments:

waldocarmona said...

I've peed on the bees but never gave it much thought until you mentioned it!

zion|blue said...

To be honest I haven't seen a bee on a urinal yet. But I am waiting. One solution to why there is a bee and not a puppy or an anteater is perhaps that bees are a smaller targets and requires better precision. And a better aim is a better game.

There could also be some crowd control psychology involved. I mean here you are with your most sensitive area exposed and you see the image of a bee. Bee's sting + sensitive area= HOLY BA-JESUS!!! MOST PEE FASTER!!MOST PEE FASTER!!! hurrying up your peeing will allow for more dudes to use the urinal.

MDG said...

Don't ask why I know this but (and yes this is actually something I have read someplace not just a Google "fact").. In the Victorian era, men's urinals (a bit diff than today's) often had a pic of a bee to aim at for the same anti splashing purposes. The reason for using a bee is thought to be (no pun intended)that the Latin word for bee is apis. I just got an email detailing the use of a fly in the Netherlands complete with a picture.

iynque said...

Oddly enough, I can confirm the above comment because I just bought a(nother) book on bathrooms that shows a victorian urinal complete with a blue painted bee which explains that the lower class would have seen them as a target to reduce splashing, while the upper class would have ben educated in latin and known the latin for bee is apis. Take a piss. :D